Monday, January 3, 2011

Winter In France - Means Only One Thing - The World Is Your Oyster

As Cole Porter once wrote:
“I love Paris in the springtime.

I love Paris in the fall.

I love Paris in the winter when it drizzles,

I love Paris in the summer when it sizzles.........................”
Ah, but for me, Paris in the winter, means oysters, crisp and appetizing......., I eat them all year round, but in the winter, the cold months, they are at their best. My first stop in and out of Paris during this season is always heading toward my favorite brassiere and having my quest for the briny oyster fulfilled.
In France the accompaniment for oysters on the half shell is a simple combination of diced shallots and red wine vinegar called Mignonette. But I stay away from this, to me adding anything to an oyster is simple pollution. Each flavor to me is a hymn to its own watery terrior, but yes, a coup Champagne is a nice addition to go along with the oyster.
Eating oysters....as a wise sage ..............it’s like kissing the sea on the lips.







No comments: