Friday, August 23, 2013

You Are Only as Happy as The Era You Love - Paris of 50 years ago


As you may or may not know, I have been accused of living in the past more than once from friends and family alike and I say to that..I am guilty and proud to say so!
For me, genuine French food, the food of 50 years ago, when there was great French cooking, not the pretentious silly stuff you'll find today, yes even in my beloved Paris -food that will give your cardiologist cause for concern - serious food - you know great sauces - goose foie gras - beef with marrow - duck with peaches - chicken stewed in Beaujolais - Lobster in Port wine sauce.(.I need to stop!) and huge Baba and my list can go on and on.
Was it decadent? - oh yes! Was it delicious? oh yes! and is it what I want? oh YES!
Here and there the past for me is still alive in Paris and one restaurant ( that has been around for 50 years) is Gourmets de Ternes. is still serving the food they did years ago and it is still great. It's local, not fancy, you are there to eat. No Fusion cuisine, no foam, no stark walls (Phillip or anyone else) and chairs and tables.
This is the kind of place you come to Paris to experience.
But then, don't listen to me, I'm just old fashioned and I'll keep those special and old fashion and great food places to myself.

No comments: