Thursday, July 30, 2015

Ham and Sausage heaven found in Paris's Haute (upper) Marais District

Recently I spent time in the Marais, but not the lower part that most tourists visit, but in what is called the Haute Marais; the ever-growing hipper part of the Marais.
I stumbled upon a postage stamp size shop next to the famous Marche des Enfants Rouges Market that only sells the best,  ham and Charcuterie from all over Europe.  It's called Caractere de Cochon.  I walked inside, took one look and one deep breathe and was hooked for like. 
The owner, Solo, presides over this amazing shop and acting as a professor of the history and technique ham and sausage making and loves to teach clients, and it was here that I spent well over an hour enraptured by his conversation and my tasting of some of the best ham I have ever eaten.  The hours are are hit and miss, so you'll need to have patience in trying to find an opening times ( as they vary all the time) , but OH! what wonders you'll see and taste.
Carsactere de Cochon
42, rue Charlot (3e)
Paris

 You must try his 'snowball' sausages, cooked with truffles and rolled in Parmesan




No comments: