Tuesday, November 27, 2018

In Austria - a new dining discovery


Having just returned from my three-country sojourn ( Austria, Germany, Hungary) , even after over 50 years of traveling, there is always something new to learn. In this case, it was in Linz, Austria at the restaurant, Keintzel.
At this cozy Wirtshaus, I had wildschein ( wild boar) with red cabbage ; it was out of this world.

When dessert came, as I always do, I ordered a double espresso and the restaurant owner came over and said, its tradition in this area of Austria to also have a small glass of Schnapps along with your coffee.. I know ( Schnapps) it’s like the French eau de vie and so I asked what fruit flavors do you have and he said, ‘let me give something that is only found in this area, its called Zirben Schnapps. ‘

He presented me with a tall thin glass with a red colored Schnapps and the aroma and taste, to me was of something like the smell of a pine forest.
In fact, to my surprise, it was, it’s a high-alpine pine cone flavor that united a fine sweetness and a lightly tangy heart taste. It’s I’m told a classic among herbal spirits
It was a great discovery of not only this Schnapps, but of having Schnapps along with your coffee.