Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Why BONJOUR is the most sacred word to French people and your entree into France

 



While greetings may not be much of a part of  life here in the USA, in France, the word BONJOUR is sacred. "Honestly, it may be terrible to say (explains a person in Paris) but if a colleague does not greet me in the morning, I'll think he or she is mad at me or in a bad mood and  then, I will be the one in the bad mood, having been offended" 

So, as a visitor in France, to really get along and fit in, when you interact with another human being, say Bonjour before asking anything ( very, very important!!).

Bonjour is not just about saying hello, it is much more, a sign of respect. Knowing this will often give you better service when entering a shop or a bakery or otherwise you will just be perceived as a bad-mannered person. I cannot overstate this to tourists. 

As a shop owner told me 'If you come to me with just a request, I am clearly going to think you see me as a robot that is just here to satisfy your needs and not as a human being that deserves a little respect'

If you can just learn this, your time in France can be so much more lovely.