Monday, December 7, 2009

Anyone Who Flies An American Carrier to Europe/France - Should have Their Head Examined!



I am well into my 60's and have been flying to Europe since 1948 and as we all are aware the days of elegant flying are long gone, especially for American Air carriers. Having just returned from France, flying to Paris on Delta Airlines and returning on Air France, I can only say, if you fly an American carrier, it’s your own fault.
I well understand that with today's economy and how the airlines are suffering, that many have to cut back on many items. That is certainly true on American carriers, not only domestically, but I find internationally.
Sure, First Class and Business have more perks and I assume that the service level is better, but I fly coach and here is what I have observed and think.
Please note, that what I am going to say is not sexiest, but just a plain observation and backed up by several friends who are ex-international flight attendants with American Air Carriers, who believe the same as I do..
I am told that flying across the Atlantic to Europe is a prime money maker for air carriers and has always been prime competition for traveler’s dollars. So, one would expect the best in all classes on that route to garner the most business. That said.............and I have taken as many US carriers across that route as foreign carriers and there is no question, as far as service (especially in coach) there is no contest. The foreign carriers have it hands above the American Carrier and it was never brought home more than on my last trip on .
Delta Airlines: The flight attendants ( and this has been true on United and American Airlines in the past when I have flown them) seem to have just woken up, ....they look slovenly, not made up, there seems to be a weight issue with many of them, their attitude seems gruff and not caring. It seems to me that their service was take it or leave it. On the American carriers I mentioned, they now charge for wine, beer and alcohol, something (at least on prime international flights in the past they did not), The meal service, was lackluster and you certainly knew you where on an American carrier, because the salad dressing was Thousand Island and the cheese was a plastic wrapped stale piece of cheddar cheese. I know that flying today, is just like taking the bus, service has gone out the door. I would accept that, but when I took Air France coming back to the US from Paris, it was a world of difference and so I’ll explain.
First of all, the cabin crew - men and women were young and fresh and personable. , extremely well dressed and made up. ( see the photo above of an Air France flight attendant) They looked like models straight from a Paris Fashion runway show. In fact during the flight, I think they changed dress styles 3 times. They were eager to please and looked like them meant it.
After take off, in coach mind you, we were first offered drinks…FREE OF CHARGE…of course I started out with a coupe of Champagne. With that, they did not give you a bag of peanuts or pretzels, no, this is France, and they handed out a bag of Croccantelle (A European cracker with sesame seeds) infused with olives. They returned and asked if you would also like some wine.
Then they handed out a menu for one of the two meals that they would serve on board. A Menu? In coach?
With that, wine of course (again free of charge) and fresh baguettes individual served. With the meal came a large bottle of water, not the mini coffee cup size that other US airlines serve. The cheese was Camembert! Need I say more?
Betweens the meals served, sandwiches, ice cream, and drinks were available in the self service parts of the coach section.
It was a 12 hour flight and yet the cabin attendants always looked fresh and eager. What a marked difference between Air France and its US competition.
There were so many other pluses about flying Air France, but I’ll stop here and only to say..
If you fly an American carrier to France rather than Air France, you should have your head examined.





No comments: