Monday, December 14, 2009

Brittany - The Wild Coast of Southern Finistere




On day 4, I left the area of Brittany known as Morbihan and drove north (about 2 hours) through rolling farmland to the southern Finistere. This part of Brittany is very wild and rugged but also has some beautiful sheltered beaches. My object was to tour for 2 days the western part of this area and visit the Pointe Du Van and Pointe du Raz, which is the regions wildest and most beautiful places.
I used the seafaring town of Douarnenez as my base area and then did day trips from here to the West.

The drive west from Douarnenez to the Pointe du Raz is about 1 hour and 30 minutes. The drive along the d765 ( I am sure you heard me wax poetic about other places in France) but this scenic drive is glorious and now has become one of my most favorite drives in France.

I arrived at the Pointe du Raz in a slight blowing rain ( I am told this is the best time to see the area, because the scenery is more spectacular). This wild and majestic spur of land is shaped by the action of waves that rise to the height of more than 230 ft. The area is now a conservation protectorate with a network of footpaths. The only sounds were the whipping wind, the surf below and the cries of gulls. The clouds, in several shades of white to gray, seemed to move quickly overhead, and a salty, wet mist hits you in the face. In this part of Brittany, like much of its 750 miles of coastline, you can't help but feel you are at the end of the world.

It’s about a mile walk to the lighthouse area with time to peer (ever so carefully) over the side of the cliff to get a better view of the raging surf (feared by local sailors). After my walk I headed south along the coastline, passing a on one side, the look of the remote and desolate moors of Scotland and on the other side, some of the most dramatic sea views anywhere. In fact, I found a place/village that I’d like to live in forever! (But that’s my secret).


Every turn and every corner was spectacular as I drive. I finished at the seafaring town of Audierne. The town is known for its catch of sea bass, sea bream, monkfish and crayfish. Since it was noon, I decided to stop and have lunch. There are several lovely harbor side restaurants and by luck, I stepped into L’Iroise (named after the bay that surrounds this area). What a lucky find…………


……………more to come on my next blog entry.

No comments: