Wednesday, November 18, 2015

A Meal in France that will last a lifetime in my memory and heart...

I’ve had everything from 3 star haut-cuisine Michelin meals to ‘hole in the wall’ country bistros to everything in between. I can honestly say, I have not met a food that I don’t enjoy and hope…….. I never will. 

 But in some reflection in my ‘twilight years” ,when I think about my favorite meals and food in dining in France for over 45 years , I always go back to those simple, hearty French country style meals that fill my soul, heart and stomach. Meals that make me smile, years and year later when I think about dining in France….

 Recently in my sojourn to France, I stayed in one of my favorite areas of France; Brittany. During a drive into the heart of this area, I came upon a small, lovely, typical Breton village (Plougasnou) at noon time and parked in the charming town square and in front of me was a local bistro by the name of Les Chaises. They served the typical hearty French country lunch and I saw something on the menu that I had not seen in any Paris restaurant and a dish that took me back to my childhood. Pork (Porc) with Prunes. 

Like the cynical and harsh restaurant critic, Anton Ego in Disney’s animated film ‘Ratatouille, who was served a simple peasant dish of Ratatouille, which brings back the memories of his mother's cooking and thus softens his whole outlook on life, well I’m not harsh and cynical, but that dish brought me back to my youth and looking back on it, it was one of the greatest meals of all in my dining in France.




No comments: